Local Love: Each to Own

This week's bit of local love comes in the form of the wonderful Kirsten Devitt, the creative force behind accessories label, Each to Own. The simple design aesthetic behind her brooches and earrings is complemented so wonderfully by the quirky patterns and bright colours. I'm definitely in love.


Seriously, just imagine one of those cute brooches on a tailored blazer - it's all completely stylish, and just so damn lovely.
Now it's the part where she spills all her creative secrets - let's go.

What inspires you to create?
It's so hard to pinpoint really but sometimes a little voice in your head just says, "Hey you! You could do that, and then this, and it would look like this, and it just might work so, go on - try it"(quite annoying really)
I have little moments in the week where I just have to run and quickly jot things down or do a quick design (I have a 2.5 year old & a shoe shop) and then sort the rest out later. It's like the creative thought is the boss of you and you don't have a choice but to obey :)

How did Each to Own come about?
I started out just making a few assembled pieces for friends and myself and then a friend asked if I could do a big order of 100 necklaces for a Mother's Day do at their school. It didn't occur to me that I could sell my things or that anyone would want them. It was a great feeling. Over time my style has evolved to doing my own designs and I'm always interested to see where it will lead me next.

Apart from Each to Own - what do you like to do with your time?
I love to just hang out with my hubbie and little boy in my spare time. It's a busy life we all lead so even if it is just doing the grocery shopping it's a lovely way to spend time if they are with me. If I get a little bit of time to myself I will sit with a cuppa... and then probably abandon it and go and glue stuff on other stuff because Each To Own IS my love in my spare time - cold cups of tea all over the place here! 

Where do you think you would like to be in a few years?
Right where I am, I hope. I have a few little dreams for Each to Own and another few little ideas I would like to follow. But I'm in no rush and am really happy doing what I am doing right now.

Where is your favourite spot in Brisbane?
At the moment I am in love with Apples On Ainsworth; a great vintage/foodie/wonderful vibe hang out in Salisbury. I drive half way across town to get there but it's worth it. And I'm forever in love with GOMA and the Powerhouse.

What are you most looking forward to in 2012?
Seeing where the year goes, seeing my lovely customers at the markets, seeing what ideas demand my attention, seeing my family happy... that's fine with me :)

Wow, her happiness is infectious. I hope when I'm at the same point in my life I will be as happy and content as Kirsten - it's such an inspiration! After that, I think I'm feeling this happy!

2 comments:

  1. These are really neat! So creative and super cute. I have been super into pins lately so this is perfect!

    tallkendall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoy them! I can't wait to get my hands on some! Thanks for visiting x
    ps: you have a lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...