finally: a diy neon necklace adventure

In the words of The Cat Empire, 'Hello! Hello!' 
I'm sharing tonight my latest little DIY adventure... which I originally planned on doing way back in February (talk about a procrastination champion) - but only got around to doing last Thursday night! 

Inspired initially by this post, and motivated by my upcoming attendance at the Groovin the Moo festival (which explains my lack of posts over the last few days!)... I finally pulled my finger out, bought a necklace from Diva, some spray paint from Bunnings, gathered some masking tape, old newspapers, and set to work. 


A word of warning: make sure your spray paints are compatible. It seems my undercoat was just a tad too glossy for the colour I picked to use, and I initially got that 'crackle' effect that has been all the rage in nailpolish lately... which was not the look I was going for!


...so because I wanted to keep the chain naked, and I couldn't remove the 'spikes' from the chain, I covered it in masking tape to protect it from the paint, which was fiddly, but definitely made a difference in the end!


My next step was to cover the ends of each spike with masking tape to keep some of the 'golden' part showing. Don't ask me why I did this - my only logic was that I thought it could possibly look a bit interesting...
Then the only remaining step was to (at roughly 10 minute intervals) over the next few hours, spray the necklace with the undercoat and then top coat. And as suggested by the lovely Geneva, multiple light coats work best :)


And voila! At roughly 11.30pm I had myself some festival-worthy neon fun! And below is the necklace in action!



I do apologise for the crappy iPhone shots, but hopefully that gives you the idea of the final result!
And if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let me know - oh, and if you do get the urge to have a go yourself, let me know, I'd love to see what you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...