Local Love: Pannikin

Hi everybody! It's nearly over! Busiest week of the year is nearly done! Super excited! Can't you tell?!
Woah, deep breath.
I'm also quite excited because this latest hit of local love features one of my total local favourites - Holly Leonardson - the total awesomeness that is behind Brisbane's colourful and fun accessories label Pannikin. Originally sighted a few years prior to my Brisbane hiatus, I immediately fell in love with what Holly does. At the time she had some rather awesome collages and illustrations that I was lucky enough to include in my "super popular" three issue zine, aptly named 'itsa;zine' (I hold procrastination and poor motivation responsible for its short lifespan).
Aaanyway, since then, she's gone from strength to strength, with many ranges behind her now and what sounds like a million other projects in the wings. 




She really is a creative dynamo - so scroll on my friends, have a read, and follow the links - and get excited, her stuff is like playschool for your person!

What inspires you to create?
I'm not entirely sure what it is exactly, but I definitely know that if I do not create my hands get fidgety and I'm not 100% happy! It is very much a need to create.

How did Pannikin come about?
Pannikin came about after I landed my first ever job at 15, which was at the local bead store. After being taught a variety of jewellery making techniques, I applied them to my own work, which was mostly centred around material offcuts, found objects and plastic children's toys back then. Since my early days, I have moved on to create screen printed tote bags and engraved wooden jewellery both featuring my illustrations.

Apart from Pannikin - what do you like to do with your time?
Besides Pannikin I am also part of a collective label that I started with my boyfriend. We are called Woollen Blanket Club and we make jewellery and other nice objects as well as plan an assortment of projects together. Away from jewellery I also create collages, which are based around similar themes of childhood and nature.

So, apart from being a bit of a workaholic, I do like to go on walks and have picnics in the forest and playing with our guinea pigs is pretty neat too. Baking pies, craft nights, vintage hunting and making things are some of my favourites.

Where do you think you would like to be in a few years?
I would like to be travelling overseas, especially to Japan, Berlin and San Francisco. I also hope that I can have a nice place to live and that I can have lots of good pets.

Where is your favourite spot in Brisbane?
This is tricky, as I tend to spend a lot of time indoors making things and I enjoy that very much! However when the need to go outside arises, I like visiting places like Little Larder cafe (in New Farm) for a really unique and delicious breakfast.

What are you most looking forward to in 2012?
I am definitely looking forward to moving interstate to Tasmania in July! We are very excited about exploring the forest, gorge and mountains. There are also plans for a pretty big project but I'll keep that one secret for now!

What sad news it is for Brisbane to be losing such a creative pair of hands! I feel like if I could give a high five for commitment and passion through the internet I'd be doing it right now. Freakin love it. 
Go check out the Pannikin site this second and I'm sure the loveliness will make you smile at your screen... or at least with your eyes like Tyra Banks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...